If you would like to make the Christmas season even more magical this year, surprise your loved ones with a beautiful homemade advent calendar. Every year you personalise your Christmas cards, gifts and meal so why not get crafty and create your own personalised advent calendar to perfectly match your home and family. You can choose and personalise the small gifts inside your calendar and as an added bonus, you can even match the design of your calendar to your festive holiday decor! Every year each department here at Rosemood HQ creates its own DIY advent calendar as part of our office Christmas countdown and this year we are pleased to share one of our unique designs with you!
You will need:
1. The perfect branch - Sarah from our German team found this beautiful specimen during a weekend walk in the woods. Our German team takes Christmas very seriously and I'm sure Sarah made sure to find the absolute perfect branch. You will see one segment of the branch pictured above, you can attach a second piece of wood to make an even more impressive "double-decker" design.
2. A spool of twine - We opted for this natural coloured twine as it complements our kraft packages quite well. You can, of course, let your imagination run wild and choose the ribbon, string or twine that strikes your fancy. You will want to choose quite a sturdy line to hang your advent calendar, especially if you have any larger or heavier gifts dangling from your branches!
3. Brown paper packages tied up with string for The Sound of Music lovers and any small boxes or envelopes for everyone else - You can opt for uniform little boxes or go for a more eclectic look by including a mix of sizes, shapes and colours. We love a good theme and have gone for quite a nature-inspired calendar this year but we would love to see what you come up with!
4. Gift tags or labels - We just love the natural hues of our Poem gift tags from our collection of wedding stationery. The tags help to set the colour theme of your calendar, especially if you have opted for white or kraft gift bags or boxes. Perhaps you have some gift tags left over from your wedding or a recent party? Alternatively, you can label your packages directly with gold or silver markers!
5. A white marker - For this particular design we chose a winter white marker to write on each of our gift tags. This choice obviously comes down to personal preference and is another great way for you to make your advent calendar uniquely yours!
6. Scissors - Any old scissors will do although shiny gold scissors will make your DIY advent calendar ever so Instagram-able!
7. Greenery or other decorations - Accessorising was probably our favourite part of creating our calendar! We chose a few sprigs of fir to bring the seasonal scent of freshly cut Christmas trees to our design. We also added a few pops of festive red blossoms to our gift boxes to balance out the cool tones of the rest of our design.
8. Last but certainly not least, the gifts - As this is one of our official office advent calendars, we won't give away the exact contents of each gift but we can give you a few ideas... chocolates, seasonal brews (coffee, tea, hot cocoa), gift cards, desk supplies and more. You know your friends and family better than we do (we hope!), do let us know what you chose to fill your packages with!
Voilà! Your personalised DIY advent calendar is ready to go for the 1st of December! Your loved ones will surely be impressed by your crafting prowess and you can certainly update and reuse your handcrafted calendar for many Christmas seasons to come.