What you need to make your Easter cupcakes:
For the cupcakes
125g (4½ oz) butter
125g (4½ oz) golden caster sugar
2 large eggs
125g (4½ oz) self-raising flour
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
For the syrup
2 tbsp. lemon juice
50g (2oz) caster sugar
For the icing
75g (3oz) butter
200g (7oz) icing sugar
A few drops of green food colouring
Plus, for the fun part you will need decorative items including your choice of mini eggs, chocolate rabbits and iced flowers.
How to make your Easter cupcakes
- Heat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan).
- Put the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or electric whisk until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in the flour, lemon zest and juice.
- Divide the mixture between the cases
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.
- To make the syrup, stir the lemon juice into the sugar, then pour over the cakes while warm.
- Remove from the tin/tray; leave to cool on a wire rack.
Decorating your Easter cupcakes
- To make the icing, beat together the butter and icing sugar with 1-2 tsp of boiling water until smooth.
- Mix the food colouring with the icing and place in a piping bag fitted with a star-shaped nozzle. Pipe stars on top of the cupcakes to make ‘grass’.
- Top the cupcakes with the decorations of your choice including chocolate bunnies or eggs.
Top tip: The cupcakes will keep for 3-4 days in a cake tin so make them on Good Friday to stock up on treats for the whole of Easter weekend.
We hope that you enjoy making these Easter cupcakes and we would love to see how they turn out. Share your pictures with us on Instagram or Facebook. Looking for more Easter baking inspiration to help make wonderful memories this bank holiday weekend? Take a look at our Easter bunny biscuits recipe to make sure that you have enough tasty treats to go around.